Sunday, February 4, 2007

China Trip Part 1: From Dallas to Hong Kong

1. Wake up at 4:30 am in Dallas
2. Board plane to LAX.
3. Arrive at LAX and wonder why an airport that has so much celebrity traffic is so darn ugly and inconvenient.
4. Find Ambassador's club and realize there's nothing good to eat or drink anymore in the lounges! I still harbor memories of the old Red Carpet Clubs, where there was food, drink and it was still a more "rarified" atmosphere. That is all gone now (at least in the US). If you are asked to pay $50 for a day pass to one of these "clubs", don't bother. The airport terminal is more interesting.
5. Walk (yes, walk--there is no inter-terminal train at LAX) to the International Terminal, which, of course, is under renovation, and a total mess.
6. Board Cathay Pacific flight to Hong Kong. Am immediately offered champagne, snacks, wonderful food, watched 3 movies, snoozed a little.
7. Arrive in Hong Kong. Navigate immigration, look for suitcase. Hear name being called over loudspeaker--realize no suitcase coming any time soon...get receipt for missing suitcase (apparently it didn't walk over to the International Terminal at LAX) and find ride to hotel.
8. Check in to hotel, do best I can with what I've got (which is computer bag, and liquids and business class overnight kit) along with toiletries at hotel. It wasn't too bad, except that I had to re-wear my clothes the next day to a business meeting. This is why you don't wear sweat pants on the plane--at least I was wearing jeans.
9. SLEEP--until about 2:00 am, that is, then sit bolt upright in bed because I'm still on Texas time...

Despite all this sarcasm, I didn't do badly at all with the jetlag, and I'm very proud of myself for going through all the missing luggage stuff while practically dead on my feet and not verbally eviscerating anyone.

More fun trip info to follow.

No comments: