Tuesday, February 6, 2007

China Trip Part 3: Day 2 in Hong Kong

Welcome to day 2 of Hong Kong--

The morning started, after the Chinese/American/European buffet breakfast, of course, with some walking and shopping in Central (an area of Hong Kong Island).

The primary goal was to carefully observe the Shanghai Tang store. This store has exquisite products, not the usual "stuff" you find in all the markets (and also back home). Everything is special, and pricey, unfortunately. I did find some goodies for gifts though--sorry, I won't disclose any more.

I then wandered around the narrow lanes, up hill, down hill, looking in all the shops of dried formerly living things. The thought struck me that Hong Kong is the real China town (if you've spent much time in San Francisco you will know what I mean)--and I have so many memories of SF's China town, that Hong Kong felt almost familiar.

After a bit I dropped my bags off at the hotel, then wandered over to take the ferry to Kowloon. Hong Kong itself is an island--Kowloon is on the mainland. I managed to board the famous Star Ferry for the 2 minute ride.

The ferry dropped us off, and I wandered along the waterfront for awhile, observing the activities that accompany the very nice weather that day--teenagers playing in a rock band, giggling, artists trying to sucker tourists into buying sketches, all the usual stuff.

The next stop was the Hong Kong Museum of Art. This museum contains some beautiful exhibits of ceramics that date from ancient biblical times--500 BC and older--and they are still intact! Some of the truly ancient pieces reminded me very much of American Indian pottery, interestingly enough, in the designs and colors. Man is the same everywhere, I guess. Here's a snap of the exterior of the museum--the other side of the building is right along the waterfront, although you can't tell from this photo.

I lasted until about 2:00 at the museum, then decided that instead of having lunch, I would "take tea" at The Peninsula Hotel. This is the "grande dame" of Hong Kong hotels and the British imperialist-colonialist aura has been impeccably maintained, down to the little monkey suits that the doormen wear (honestly, I felt that their uniforms were a bit demeaning--they looked like Curious George outfits, little square hat and everything! Ugh!) Tea was absolutely scrumptious--with live string quartet and all.

Back at the hotel later that evening, I prepared for a dinner out with colleagues at Indochine restaurant. This restaurant, a photo of which is conveniently here:


is located in the Lan Kwai Fong district. Wow! Narrow street, crammed with people, lights, food smells, really fascinating. This district is solely an eating and drinking spot and caters mostly to expats, but is really unique.

Upon finishing dinner (the best part of which was the crispy salt and pepper eggplant, I must say!), having improved my skills with chopsticks to "no longer embarrassing American occasional chopstick user", I went "home" to go to SLEEP! (at least until 3:00 in the morning--notice I'm sleeping a bit longer each night).

Stay tuned for the Gray Line Tour of Hong Kong Island tomorrow.

No comments: